University Land Use Planning is made up of a small team of experienced land use planners and analysts who work with OSU leadership, city and county public officials, community members, and other units within Capital Planning and Development to provide guidance regarding large scale land use at OSU, zoning and regulatory requirement compliance, permitting, and surveys and assessments regarding the intersection of people with OSU's built environment.
We focus on establishing a vibrant learning environment to support OSU's mission, goals and values. Our team of expert planners brings a professional perspective on planning, zoning and land-use regulatory consideration for effective community creation, revitalization, and accommodation for growth in a manner that balances the needs of the university with community, economic, social, and environmental concerns.
Approved in 2004, the OSU Campus Master Plan (CMP) focuses on the 570 acres of land recognized as the main campus within the city limits of Corvallis, Oregon. This acreage is situated west of downtown Corvallis and bounded, generally, by 9th Street to the east, Monroe Street to the north, Western Boulevard to the south, and 35th Street to the west.
The CMP has three purposes:
The CMP was formulated to maintain and enhance the university’s fundamental mission, its roles in undergraduate, graduate, and professional education, and its public service. The growth proposed in the CMP is necessary to accommodate the projected growth in the number of people seeking higher education and to support educational and research initiatives. The CMP offers flexibility in meeting the challenge of providing a compelling learning environment, while setting standards that direct future growth, guide future design decisions, and conserve and enhance the open space of the campus. In balancing these various concerns, the university truly becomes a public amenity for all in the state of Oregon.
The CMP updates the 1986 OSU Physical Development Plan and aims to meet the needs for the intellectual, economic, technological, and social advancement of the campus and surrounding community. The CMP is based on the contributions of administrators, faculty, staff, students, and the Corvallis community.
content under revision
Chapter 7 of the OSU Campus Master Plan 2004-2015 identifies how OSU will manage parking. OSU completes an on-campus parking utilizaton study annually and a neighborhood parking study every five years.
Campus Sign Plan
This policy sets forth the process by which OSU employees acting in their official capacity and OSU departments may seek and receive OSU approval to place Signage, including but not limited to monument signs, building signs, banners and posters, on OSU buildings and around campus.
Oregon State University requires an effective system of visual communication that projects a uniform institutional identity, while at the same time integrating well with the present and future campus environment.
The Campus Sign Plan describes a harmonious and aesthetically pleasing arrangement in the following three areas of design: Communication: What signs say, to whom, and for what purpose; how they say it; where the signs are located; and how well signs communicate.
Temporary Sign Requests
To request temporary signage, please complete and submit the appropriate Temporary Sign Request Form.
OSU’s campus is renowned for its architectural harmony. This was a key goal of the 1909 Olmsted Brothers’ Plan and all subsequent Campus Plans. Per OSU’s Historic Preservation Plan (2010), “Olmsted had provided President William Jasper Kerr in 1909, a type-written sixty page report which described in detail the future development of the university’s campus. While the Olmsted firm did not provide any plans or drawings to accompany the report, a plan was drafted a year later in 1910 by landscape architecture professor Arthur Lee Peck. The drawing showed the creation of quadrangles and grouping of buildings. One important aspect of the plan was to develop architectural unity for the campus, which was primarily implemented by architect, John V. Bennes.” Buildings designed by Bennes between 1909 and 1925 and by A.D. Taylor between 1926 and 1944 basically implemented the Olmsted plan.
A significant portion of OSU’s campus was designated a National Historic District in 2008. As a result, all significant development within, and in some cases adjacent to the Historic District, is subject to a historic review process by the City of Corvallis. Development also remains subject to the standard regulations such as local planning and building code requirements and the requirements of OSU’s Campus Master Plan.
The purpose of a preservation plan is to provide for the continued identification, evaluation, protection and enhancement of historic properties. Preservation of the built environment provides an opportunity to celebrate a diverse cultural heritage by focusing on its historic resources that include buildings, landmarks and landscapes, monuments, and archaeological sites. The goal of the Oregon State University Historic Preservation Plan (HPP) is the integration of preservation considerations and techniques in planning and development decisions in an effort to protect and preserve historic resources within the Historic District.
The National Register of Historic Places is the official list of the Nation's historic places worthy of preservation. Authorized by the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966, the National Park Service's National Register of Historic Places is part of a national program to coordinate and support public and private efforts to identify, evaluate, and protect America's historic and archeological resources.
Oregon State University requires approval to place portable outdoor dispensers for publications in designated locations on OSU’s Corvallis campus. To request approval for the authorized placement of dispensers, please complete and submit the form below. You will be notified of OSU’s decision regarding this request within 30 days.
By submitting this form the publisher or editor representing the publication agrees to the following standards and maintenance requirements:
In the event that any publication dispenser is found to be out of compliance with the maintenance and upkeep requirements, the publisher or editor responsible for the publication will be notified by OSU and given 30 days to comply. If compliance is not addressed within 30 days of notification, the dispensers will be removed and stored in a secure location within the Facilities Services shops area.