What's Happening? About the Changes:
Campus Recycling has been following significant changes occurring to recycling markets that impact what materials are acceptable for placing in recycling bins on campus (as discussed in a recent Gazette-Times article). We have recently updated our acceptables list in accordance with our local recycling processors’ requirements - please see our updated online recycle guides here.
We have been advised that these new guidelines will be applicable in the foreseeable future. If/when additional changes are made, our online recycle guides will be the first resource we update to keep you informed. Campus Recycling will gradually collect our bin signage and replace them with corrected signs as time allows. We are unable to roll out new signage across campus in the immediate future due to the quantity of bins in service on campus and the uncertainty around the permanency of these guidelines. However, we are currently in the process of building a large scale communications plan to launch in the fall to educate the campus community about these new guidelines.
Please note that these guidelines are for the OSU Corvallis campus specifically and recycling elsewhere is different. For those living in the Corvallis area, new guidelines for curbside recycling are available on Republic Service’s website, www.RepublicServices.com/corvallis. For all others, please contact your service provider. Thank you for recycling right!
What Changed? Items Removed from OSU's Acceptance List:
These items are no longer accepted in general recycle bins on campus.
- No cartons and aseptic containers (place in trash)
- No butcher paper (place in trash)
- No shredded paper (this material can now be collected separately for recycling if desired)
- No hardback books (this material can now be collected separately for recycling if desired)
- No egg cartons in "Paper" bins (still accepted in "Commingle" or "Mixed Recycling" bins in residence halls and dining facilities only)*
- No spiral or bound notebooks in "Commingle" or "Mixed Recycling" bins in residence halls (still accepted in "Paper" bins on rest of campus)*
- No packing paper in "Commingle" or "Mixed Recycling" bins in residence halls (still accepted in "Paper" bins on rest of campus)*
*Note that OSU sends material from "Paper" bins and "Mixed Recycling" bins to different vendors. Rather than remove the last three items from our acceptables list, we have opted to accept them in one bin type but not the other.
- No aerosol cans
- No tin containers that are not cans (mints, cookies, tea, etc.)
- No foil
- No metal jar lids
In other words, anything that is not a tin/steel or aluminum can is not accepted.
Note that many of these items can be collected separately for recycling as scrap metal if desired.
- No plastic tubs (yogurt, margarine, salsa, etc.)
- No plastic jars (nut butters, etc.)
In other words, anything that is not a bottle or jug is not accepted.
These items need to be placed in the trash.
What is Accepted? OSU's New Guidelines:
Please see our updated online recycle guides here.
For More Information:
Contact Andrea Norris via email or at 737-5398.