Refreshments or meals at departmental functions can be paid with university funds when the activity meets one of the following criteria:
- Training or workshop lasting at least two hours.
- Departmental staff retreat with written agenda and held away from the normal work location and in a private room.
- Employee working meal with required attendance and business conducted during the meal period (as documented in meeting agenda). Location is not at a restaurant, unless in a private room. (This option should be used infrequently.)
- Employee meal provided at worksite during an overtime period, two or more hours beyond the end of employee’s work shift, when duties prevent the employee from taking a meal break. This must be clearly documented.
University funds cannot be used to pay for employee meals or refreshments for regularly scheduled departmental meetings.
The request for payment must:
- Document the purpose of the function, agenda, names of the attendees, and why that time of day was necessary (if a meal).
- Be accompanied by an itemized receipt showing the method of payment.
NOTE: Meals and refreshment costs cannot be paid with Petty Cash funds nor with the departmental purchasing card.