For the 2018 competition, OSU emerged victorious for the first time in two years! OSU mainted a strong lead throughout the duration of the competition, with UO bridging the gap only during the last two weeks of the competition. OSU now has more wins than UO with OSU winning the competition in 2010
After discussion with UO, both universities made a few changes to the way they run the RecycleMania competition. Compost weights used to be counted along with recycling but it was decided to remove compost from the competition after complications arose when it came to determining the accuracy of these weights. The inter-hall challenge at OSU where residence halls compete to see who can recycle the most was also discontinued.
The winner of the 2017 RecycleMania Civil War competition was the University of Oregon. UO gained a strong lead over OSU throughout the course of the competition, while OSU managed to bridge the gap during the competition's final week. Ultimately, UO won the competition, and will keep the trophy for another year. OSU and UO are now collectively tied for wins: OSU won in 2010, 2011, 2012, and 2015; UO won in 2013, 2014, 2016, and 2017.
In the 2017 competition, Beavers recycled 232,063 lbs and composted 61,440 lbs. As with previous years, total composting and per capita pounds of composting increased (from 60,076 lbs and 2.209 per person in 2016, to 61,075 lbs and 2.227 per person this year). However, per capita recycling diverted and recycling rate were slightly down. The amount of trash remained roughly the same.
2010-2018 Competition Results
- In the 2010 competition, OSU recycled 374,864 lbs and composted 19,145 lbs!
- In 2011, OSU recycled and composted 484,449 lbs! Additionally, OSU collected 5,109 lbs of e-waste and 55 cubic yards (9 standard dumpsters or 11,108 gallons) of Styrofoam during collection events.
- During 2012, OSU recycled 477,101 lbs and composted 60,408 lbs! OSU collected 49,025 lbs. of electronic waste, ranking it 5th in the country. OSU also ranked #1 out of the 9 Oregon universities who competed in the Per Capita Classic (lbs. of recycling per person) and Gorilla Prize (total lbs. of recycling) categories.
- In the 10 weeks of the 2013 competition, OSU recycled 353,613 lbs and composted 73,960 lbs!
- In the 2014 competition, we collected 238,916 lbs of recycling and 44,333 lbs of compost.
- During the 2015 competition, OSU recycled 265,070 lbs and composted 55,006 lbs.
- 2016: OSU recycled 235,893 lbs and composted 60,076 lbs.
- 2017: OSU recycled
- 2018: OSU won the competition and recycled 243,852 lbs.
Civil War Results
OSU won for the first three years until UO beat us for the first time in 2013 and again in 2014. OSU won the trophy back in 2015 but UO reclaimed it in the 2016 and 2017 competitions. In 2018, OSU won the trophy back.
Res. Hall Competition
Res. Hall Competition Winners by year:
- 2011: McNary
- 2012: Halsell
- 2013: Weatherford
- 2014: Halsell
- 2015: Halsell
- 2016: Weatherford
- 2017: Halsell
- 2018: Res. Hall competition discontinued
The 2017 competition ran February 6-24. All halls won points in the Inter-Hall Challenge, with the greatest number being awarded to the halls in 1st through 5th place. Rankings are based on total pounds of commingled recycling per person in each hall, which was collected once per week over the three weeks. Commingled recycling includes halls' big orange carts (cardboard, glass and trash were not factored into the results).
Above are the 2017 rankings and below are the Inter-Hall Challenge point allocations. Congrats to all the halls for competing and for collectively contributing recycling weight to the RecycleMania Civil War!
- 1st place: Halsell - 500 points
- 2nd place: Bloss - 450 points
- 3rd place: ILLC - 400 points
- 4th place: Weatherford - 350 points
- 5th place: Hawley & Buxton - 300 points
- Places 6th - 14th: All remaining halls - 250 points each