Campus Recycling works with departments and buildings on the Corvallis campus to compost organic waste. Below is a list of your options; please review them and then contact us to make arrangements for what will work best for you and your department.
Departmental Compost Options
Collect your organic waste in your break room and dump it into an outdoor compost cart that we service. This option is great for those who are in larger departments and are willing to engage their department/building occupants to participate.
- An outdoor compost bin or cart (which we service once per week)
- A lidded bucket you use indoors and empty into the outdoor cart (which the department will be responsible for washing and emptying)
- Instructional sign(s)
Your department may choose between a 2-gallon pail with a flip-top lid, and a 6-gallon bucket with a screw-on lid. We will provide you with a 6-gallon bucket for outdoor use; if this capacity is insufficient, contact us and we will switch it out with a 90-gallon roll-cart.
- Help communicating with and engaging your department/building so the bin is utilized (via emailing, signage, presentations, word-of-mouth, etc)
- A designated person to maintain the indoor bucket (empty about 2 times per week, wash container periodically)
What is accepted: All food waste (including animal products), fibers (napkins, coffee filters, paper towels, pizza boxes, etc), and (labeled as such)compostable serving ware
Use red wigglers to break down your waste. This option is great for those who would like to manage their own composting and want the finished compost.
- A ready-to-go worm bin with sign(s)
- Additional bedding (shredded paper) if/when needed
- A care guide and answers to your questions
You provide: A designated person to maintain the bin (bury food, add bedding, harvest)
What is accepted: Non-animal food waste (no meat/dairy/eggs), paper napkins, paper towels, cardboard
Your question may already be answered on our FAQ page.
Fill out our department compost request form.
For More Information:
Kyle Reed, Student Outreach Assistant