Campus Recycling works with departments and buildings on the Corvallis campus to compost food waste. Below is a list of options; please review them and then contact us to make arrangements for what will work best for you and your department.
Departmental Compost Options
Collect food waste in a break room and dump it into an outdoor compost cart that we service. This option is great for those who are in larger departments and are willing to engage the department/building occupants to participate.
- An outdoor compost bin or cart (serviced weekly)
- A lidded bucket for indoor use - the department will be responsible for washing and emptying into the outdoor cart
- Instructional sign(s)
The department may choose either a 2-gallon pail with a flip-top lid or a 6-gallon bucket with a screw-on lid. A 6-gallon bucket will be provided for outdoor use; if this capacity is insufficient, please inform us so that it can be exchanged for a 90-gallon roll-cart.
- Help communicating with and engaging your department/building so the bin is utilized (via emailing, signage, presentations, word-of-mouth, etc)
- A designated person to maintain the indoor bucket (empty about 2 times per week, wash container periodically)
What is accepted: All food waste (including animal products) and some fibers (napkins, coffee filters, paper towels and pizza boxes).
Use red wigglers to break down waste! This option is great for those who would like to manage their own composting and want the finished product.
- A ready-to-go worm bin with sign(s)
- Additional bedding (shredded paper) if/when needed
- A care guide and answers to any questions
You provide: A designated person to maintain the bin (bury food, add bedding, harvest)
What is accepted: Non-animal food waste (NO meat/dairy/eggs), paper napkins, paper towels, cardboard
Your question may already be answered on our FAQ page.
Fill out our department compost request form.
For More Information: