As a strong supporter of recycling on campus, OSU encourages all event planners to consider implementing recycling and/or composting at their events.
The average individual already generates a little over 4 lbs of waste each day on their own and will generate another half to a little over 1 lb of extra waste at most special events. We offer recycling and composting to prevent that waste from going to landfills!
What services are offered for special events?
Types of waste collection services
Campus Recycling offers composting and recycling for most cans/bottles, paper, cardboard, glass, as well as bins for landfill trash. The picture below is an example of what a typical waste station set-up looks like at an event:
Note: We do not provide waste station monitors but are happy to train your individuals.
What types of bins will I need?
Don't know what type of bins are required? Use the flow chart below to better understand what kinds of waste materials will be generated at your event.
The request form is also available and can help you understand what types of waste will be generated at your event. The OSU Recycle Guide has more details on what can and cannot be recycled using our services.
If you are interested in providing compost services at your event, visit the OSU compost policy webpage for a complete list of acceptable organic materials, which includes:
- pre and post consumer food waste (e.g. food trimmings)
- pre-approved fiber based compostable service ware (fiber based compostable service ware needs to be certified by the Biodegradable Products Institute (BPI))
A list of non-accepted materials is also in the compost policy.
Any event involving both acceptable and non-acceptable packaging for composting must provide recycling station monitors as stated in the compost policy. Monitors are responsible for instructing consumers on which materials are acceptable for composting, recycling, and trash/landfill.
Training for waste station monitors
We are happy to train your waste station monitors however, if you are interested in training your staff/volunteers to be waste station monitors you may find the guides below useful on how to separate waste into the appropriate stream:
For more guidance on training staff/employees, please contact our Recycling Manager, John Deuel, via email or 7-2856.
All OSU entities are charged for recycling/composting services at their events:
$20 delivery fee per truckload of bins plus $5 per waste container (recycling, compost, and/or trash)
- Each truck can hold up to 15 bins
- If a group can demonstrate that they can safely transport bins on their own, it may be possible to wave the $20 base fee (other fees would remain the same)
$20 per hour if there is contamination to be removed from waste containers
- Fees are collected to cover the cost of labor, fuel, and waste disposal. To keep costs low, customers are encouraged to minimize contamination through product selection, staffing, etc. We are happy to assist in planning or provide advice on how to accomplish this!
How can I get recycling services for my upcoming event?
Use our request form!
All event recycling/composting services are coordinated with information you provide through our online request form.
The general sections of the form are bulleted below; please feel free to use these as guidelines to better prepare for completing the form:
General contact info (i.e. host organization and funding)
General event info (e.g. date, time, location, projected attendance, etc.)
- Types of waste expected - This section is about how many and what types of bins will be required.
- This can provided at a later time, but we'll need to know at least 2 weeks before your event.
Please submit this form at least 2 weeks in advance of your event. You will need about 10 minutes to fill it out.
What else can I do to make my event more sustainable?
Use the Green Event Guide for more tips and tools to make your event even more sustainable. For more guidance, feel free to contact Campus Recycling's Marketing Development Coordinator, Andrea Norris, at 7-5398.
For More Information
Contact our Recycling Manager, John Deuel, via email or at 7-2856