||This category includes all activities that are part of an institution’s instructional program. Included are credit and noncredit courses for academic, vocational, and technical instruction; remedial and tutorial instruction; regular, special, and extension sessions; and community education. Includes departmental research and sponsored instruction.
- All teaching and training (except research training)
- Vocational teaching
- Technical teaching
- Departmental research
- Sponsored instruction and training
||This category should include all activities specifically organized and separately budgeted to produce research outcomes, whether commissioned by an agency external to the institution or separately by an organizational unit within the institution.
- Sponsored research
- Research training
- University research
||Other Sponsored Activities
- Sponsored health service
- Sponsored community service programs
||Libraries—Official and organized central and branch libraries.
- Official and organized central and branch libraries.
||Departmental Administration—Includes all activities directly supporting Deans and Department Chairs.
- Includes all activities directly supporting Deans and Department Chairs.
||This category should include admissions and registrar offices and those activities whose primary purpose is to contribute to the student’s emotional and physical well-being and to his or her intellectual, cultural, and social development outside the context of the formal instructional program.
- Student services administration
- Social and cultural development
- Counseling and career guidance
- Financial aid administration
- Student admissions
- Student records
- Student health services
- Executive Management
- Fiscal Operations
- General Administration and Logistical Services
- Administrative Computing Services
||Sponsored Projects Administration
- Grants and Contracts Administration
- Grants and Contracts Accounting
- Research Compliance Office
- Check institution’s financial accounting system for other units identified as sponsored projects administration
||Operation and Maintenance of Plant
||This category should include the operation and maintenance of physical plants for all institutional activities, including auxiliary enterprises and independent operations.
- Physical plant administration
- Building maintenance
- Custodial services
- Landscaper and grounds
- Major repairs and renovations
||Other Institutional Activities
- Residence halls
- Dining halls
- Hospitals and clinics
- Student union
- Intercollegiate athletics
- Faculty housing, student apartments, guest houses
- Public museums
- Other similar auxiliary enterprises
- All activities except:
- Instruction, departmental research, organized research, other sponsored activities
- F&A cost activities
- Specialized service facilities
||An operation that provides a service or product or a group of services or products for a fee to users principally within the institutional community. The services may range from highly specialized to typical or necessary functions. Often they could not be provided as effectively or efficiently if provided by external sources. A service center develops a rate for the service activity based on actual incurred costs and charges users based on actual usage.
- An operation that provides services or products for a fee to users principally within the institutional community
||Space that at the time of the inventory is either vacant (not assigned to any faculty or staff members) or under renovation.
- Space that at the time of the inventory is either vacant (not assigned to any faculty or staff members) or under renovation.