Frequently Asked Questions

You may be eligible depending on your employee type. Visit the links below for more information.

Generally, no. Employees should personally contribute to the cost of the meal rather than using university (E&G) funds.

Refreshments, meals, or affiliated supplies (ie: paper plates, cups, etc.) at unit functions can be paid with university (E&G) funds when the activity meets one of the following criteria:

  1. Training or workshop lasting at least two hours.
  2. Unit staff retreat with written agenda and held away from the normal work location and in a private room.
  3. Employee working meal with required attendance and business conducted during the meal period (as documented in meeting agenda); location is not at a restaurant, unless in a private room.
  4. Employee meal provided at worksite during an overtime period, two or more hours beyond the end of employee’s work shift, when duties prevent the employee from taking a meal break (must be clearly documented).

University (E&G) funds cannot be used to pay for employee meals or refreshments for regularly scheduled unit meetings. Use of the employee working meal option by a unit should be infrequent. Refer to the Hosting Groups and Official Guests policy for more information, and contact your Business Center for assistance.

Yes. The personal days must be clearly designated when submitting a reimbursement request, and no expenses during this period can be claimed.

Airfare for the business portion of the trip is reimbursable, provided no added expense is incurred by the University. Be prepared to provide a quote showing the business-only cost of airfare if personal travel choices affect the overall cost.  

If a traveler chooses to drive for personal reasons instead of flying, OSU will reimburse the lesser of either the mileage per diem amount or the potential cost for airfare. Provide estimated costs for airfare as follows:

  • Round trip commercial airfare for the most economical direct route that would have been incurred. Quotes must be submitted with the reimbursement request.
  • Private vehicle mileage to and from the airport.
  • Lodging, meals, and incidental expenses that the traveler would normally incur with air travel. Expenses resulting from the additional time required to drive are not reimbursable.

Yes. Contact your Business Center Human Resources department for assistance.

Yes, within established guidelines. Please refer to the Student Pay Rates Matrix for pay rate guidelines, and the Student Employment Manual for limitations of hours the employee can work during the term.

Contact your Business Center Human Resources department for more information.

Yes, within policy guidelines. “Hosted groups” are when meals or refreshments are arranged in advance for an entire group of persons, for university activities involving conferences, departmental retreats, commencement events, community or public relations events, and student activities. Refer to the Hosting Groups and Official Guests policy for more information.

Refreshments may also be provided at a focus group working session or when hosting an appreciation event for students or volunteers in recognition of specific accomplishment. For further information about allowable expenses, please refer to FIS 410-08 Employee Recognition policy, FIS 410-09 Graduation Event Expenses policy, and FIS 410-21 Conference Expenses policy.

Yes, when there is a clear benefit to OSU and prior approval by appropriate program personnel or budget authority (provide documentation of these requirements when requesting payment of related expenses).

For official guest direct-billed hotel charges, the host or budget authority must specify the business purpose and business title of those being hosted. The business purpose may be written on the invoice or attached as a statement. If the invoice includes meals, the documentation must meet the hosting documentation requirements shown in FIS 410-05.

The candidate schedule for all invoices involving candidates (hosting, lodging, shuttle) must be provided or the information may be handwritten on the invoice or on an attached statement.

The flyer/announcement or schedule, or service contract, must be provided for all invoices involving speakers or consultants.

It is critical to include the correct name and address for the reimbursed party to assure payment is made to the correct address.

Please refer to OSU’s policy on hosting groups and official guests for more details and contact your Business Center with questions.

With advanced planning and effort, lodging can be paid with the departmental P-Card.

  • To use the P-Card as the final payment method, in most cases you will need to make advance arrangements with the hotel. Ask for a preauthorization form from the hotel to authorize the P-Card to be charged for lodging expenses (room and taxes only).

It is most common for the traveler to use their personal credit card to book and pay for lodging, submitting a reimbursement request upon the traveler’s return. Alternatively, the P-Card can be used to hold the reservation, with the traveler paying on-site with their personal credit card, to be reimbursed later.

Yes, please indicate that you would like documentation sent with the check on the invoice, payment request form, or via email to your Business Center. Please be specific in what documentation you would like to be sent with the check.

Yes, if one of the following conditions is met:

  1. The reimbursement requested for each trip is for mileage only. The reimbursement must be requested within 60 days of the earliest date of travel.
  2. The trips are back-to-back. If the traveler returns home before leaving on the next trip, this is not considered a back-to-back trip and separate forms must be created.

Yes, under certain conditions. Food can be direct-billed or personally reimbursed for student clubs and other groups. See the "Can I host a group" FAQ for more details.

Generally, yes, you must conduct a search. In special circumstances, you can obtain a Waiver of Search. Contact your Business Center Human Resources department for guidance about search waivers.

More information about Competitive Search Requirements is also available. The Search Excellence guide provides valuable resources to assist your search process.

Some departments, colleges and Business Centers require pre-travel authorization for certain types of travel. Contact your Business Center for details. In addition to approval from your department, pre-travel authorization from the Office for Sponsored Research and Award Administration (OSRAA) is required for foreign travel on a grant.

OSU uses EvalS, an electronically-driven performance evaluation system designed to assist supervisors and employees to complete their annual goal-setting and appraisal tasks for classified and professional faculty employees. Your supervisor will guide you through the process. Managers should contact your Business Center for more information.

Contact the OSU Motor Pool at (541) 737-4141 or use their online reservation system. First-time motor pool customers will need to fill out a Driver Authorization Form prior to reserving a vehicle.

A rental car may be direct-billed to OSU through our contracted agency, Enterprise Rent-A-Car/National Rental Car. Please refer to the Rental Car Contract Summary for booking details. Contact your department’s travel administrator or your Business Center for assistance when booking a rental car as a direct bill.

Contact your Business Center for verification as to whether an invoice has been paid or is pending in the system.

Depending on your access level you may be able to look up the information yourself:

  • Go to Online Services and sign in.
  • Select the Finance Tab at the top.
  • Then select the Transaction & Document Lookup hyperlink.
  • Then search using the index and/or activity code to search to see if an invoice has been paid.

OSU will reimburse the mileage between the employee work station and the destination or the mileage between the employee's home and the destination, whichever is less.

You can change your W-4 online by using this link:  It will take you to a DocuSign form that will allow you to change your W-4 for IRS and/or Oregon.

For state form only - those that don’t need to change the federal form:

If you prefer to submit a paper update you can get the form(s) at the IRS and State of Oregon websites.  Once you have the form(s): print, complete, and mail to Payroll.  You can also drop the form(s) off at the Cashiers drop box on the first floor of Kerr.

The mailing address for payroll is:
PO Box 1086
Corvallis, OR 97339

If you have any additional questions about your W-4 or cannot access your W-4 through this method, please reach out to Payroll. They are available at, or by phone at 541-737-3232.

Index (fund) balances only reflect those invoices and expenses which have been processed in Banner (OSU’s financial and accounting system) through the previous business day.

The OSU Office of Budget and Fiscal Planning provides web-based tools to help you track your funds and expenditures which have been completed and approved in Banner. Please refer to the Budget Office Online Systems webpage to access these tools. You may also contact your Business Center for assistance.

All paper checks are mailed to your Current Mailing address on file. To update your mailing address, go to, click on the Online Services Employee Dashboard, click on My Profile, and review your addresses on file. If you need to edit your address, click on the pencil icon.

If you pay the vendor directly, please complete a Personal Reimbursement Request form and work with your Business Center to process it within 60 days of the event. Include the following information.

Details about the hosted event:

  • Who:  Names of the individuals hosted and the individuals doing the hosting. Also, describe the title/relationship to the University for each attendee to help understand the business purpose.
  • What:  What was the nature of the hosted event? Was it lunch, dinner, breakfast, entertainment, or something else?
  • When: The dates and times of hosted events.
  • Where: Location or locations that the hosting took place.
  • Why:  Purpose and reason for hosting. Must describe what the benefit gained to OSU was from conducting the hosting.
  • Note: Names are not required when hosting large informal group gatherings; however, the announcement or agenda of the group gathering indicating the university purpose is to be attached to the reimbursement or invoice payment request.


  • Itemized to show meals, gratuities, alcoholic beverages and any charges for room use. (A "tear tag" showing only the total charge is inadequate for reimbursement.)

Average Amount:

  • The calculated average cost per person for refreshments or meals must be included with the reimbursement request. The average is determined by dividing the total cost (meal/refreshments including tip and delivery charge) by the number of attendees.

Reimbursement of alcoholic beverages is not allowed on institutional funds (E&G funds).

Expenses for alcoholic beverages must be separately identified and billed directly to the OSU Foundation, if the hosting unit has access to Foundation funds. (Refer to the OSU Foundation's Reimbursement Policy for more information.)  It is best to ask the restaurant or caterer to provide separate bills for food and alcohol.

Contact your Business Center for assistance when alcoholic beverages are served at banquets or group activities that you are hosting as part of a workshop or conference, where the full cost of such beverages is recovered through charges to the participants or sponsoring group.

Note that the hosting institution is responsible for compliance with all laws and Oregon Liquor Control Commission regulations, including obtaining a one-day license for serving beer and wine.

Contact your Business Center Human Resources department for details about how to post the position.

Refer to the Student Employment Program page on the Office of Human Resources website for more information.

Please contact your Business Center for detailed information.

Direct Deposit participants can opt to view electronic earnings statements online instead of receiving a paper statement.  You can conveniently opt out of paper statements online via MyOSU.

  1. Log in with your ONID and Password
  2. Select the Employee Tab
  3. Click on the “Direct Deposit” in the “My Employment Details” block
  4. Follow the directions on the site

For further assistance, contact the Central Payroll Office at (541) 737-3232 or visit them in the Kerr Administration Building (first floor).

Once established, electronic earnings statements can be viewed by following the instructions above.

Expenses for retirement parties must be paid or directly reimbursed by the OSU Foundation. You will need prior approval from your unit’s budget authority to access Foundation Funds. Please refer to the OSU Foundation’s policy regarding retirement parties and gifts (Article 9: Employee Awards) for details about how Foundation funds may be spent.  

Send invoices and receipts to your Business Center for processing.

Direct Deposit saves you time. Your money will be automatically deposited into your bank account around midnight of payday. You can conveniently set up Direct Deposit online via MyOSU:

  1. Log in with your ONID and Password
  2. Select the Employee Tab
  3. Click on the “Direct Deposit” in the “My Employment Details” block
  4. Follow the directions on the site

For further assistance, contact the Central Payroll Office at (541) 737-3232 or visit them in the Kerr Administration Building (first floor).

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), commonly called the Affordable Care Act (ACA) is a federal law that was enacted with the goals of increasing the quality and affordability of health insurance. OSU provides medical insurance to its benefit-eligible employees – Classified and Unclassified employees in positions at .50 FTE or greater. Under the ACA, employees that may not have been in a benefit-eligible position in the past or fell below benefit eligibility may now qualify for medical insurance. 

More information about the ACA and how it might affect you can be found at the Office of Human Resources Affordable Care Act page.

All reimbursements must be submitted via Concur, the travel and expense software, for payment within 60 days of incurring the cost or within 60 days after the conclusion of the travel/field-work during which the expenditure was made. The reimbursement request must also be made within the same fiscal year as the expenses were incurred (OSU’s fiscal year ends June 30th). Please review the Travel Reimbursement Policy for more details and see the Travel website.

You must contact your Business Center for direction if your reimbursement request occurs beyond the 60-day time limit.

Posting times vary depending on the status of the position you are filling. Contact your Business Center Human Resources department for details.

The university hiring or service department is responsible for the cost of conducting the Criminal History Check. The direct cost for an in-state criminal history check is $10 and a national (fingerprint) criminal history check is $45. There is no additional processing, reviewing or reporting fee assessed.

Reimbursement for a tip of up to 15% of the charge is allowable when hosting groups or guests. The 15% limit does not apply when the establishment adds a service charge for larger groups in lieu of gratuity. In this case, the amount of the service charge is not within the control of the customer and the full gratuity (e.g., 18%) can be reimbursed.

Tips or fees for alcoholic beverage service are not reimbursable from E&G funds. These costs need to be separated and included with the alcoholic beverage purchase. (See the "Getting Reimbursed for Alcoholic Beverages" FAQ for more information.)

Please refer to the Office of Human Resources Benefits page for 9-month employees. Graduate Students should contact the Office of Human Resources for additional options. Contact your Business Center for more information.

Contact your supervisor to determine whether you are considered an essential employee. The Inclement Weather Employee Matrix describes how employees are paid during closures. Refer to the Time Reporting for Inclement Weather Closures page for details on how to record your work time during closures.

Contact your Business Center Human Resources department for more detailed information.   

Contact your supervisor for assistance, or go to OSU’s My Time website and review the User Guide that corresponds to your job type under the Policy Profile/Role Training heading.

If you still need assistance, please contact your Business Center directly or by using the My Time Contact link.  Please include your OSU ID and a detailed message.

You can review the Sample Earnings Statement, which explains the various deductions. Or, contact your supervisor, your Business Center payroll department, or the Central Payroll Office at (541) 737-0575 or in the Kerr Administration Building, Window 17.

Contact your Business Center Human Resources team for more details about the orientation they offer new employees. It includes general information about how to get started at OSU, what kinds of training their position requires, and other details specific to the position.   

Other New Employee Resources are available at the central administrative Office of Human Resources website, along with a monthly general orientation schedule. Also, refer to the Inside OSU website for links to detailed information.

Please see the new Travel and Expense site for more details.

Note:  Direct deposit is a convenient option for travel reimbursements.  Here are the instructions to sign up for Direct Deposit.


Please review the Lost, Stolen, or Destroyed Check Policy. Contact the Central Payroll Office at (541) 737-0575 or in the Kerr Administration Building, Window 17 to fill out a Lost Check Affidavit form.  

An invoice from a vendor must include the following information before OSU can pay it: vendor’s name, vendor’s mailing address, and a bill-to address at Oregon State University. Purchasers should verify that the invoice matches the goods or services which OSU received.

Following the procedures outlined by your Business Center, determine the billing index and/or activity code that is being charged for the expense, provide information about “who, what, when, where, and why” the purchase was made, and obtain the budget authority’s approval.

Note that if the invoice is addressed to an individual employee at a non-OSU address, payment cannot be made directly to the vendor. In this case, the individual should pay for the product or service themselves, and then request reimbursement from OSU (if it is a qualified business expense). This request for personal reimbursement is made using a Reimbursement Request Form with proof of payment attached.
Contact your Business Center with specific questions and for assistance with paying invoices.

Note: When scanning the invoice to the Business Center, the original documentation must be retained in your department for one year from the date it was scanned. You will find the Records Retention policy here:

Please visit the Graduate School website for more information, and contact your Business Center Human Resources department for guidance.

In order to be insured for foreign travel you must contact OSU Risk Management prior to your trip and register with them:

If possible, talk to your supervisor for help resolving the issue. Additionally, there are a number of resources at OSU to assist you in handling difficulties you may be experiencing at work:

  • The University Ombuds Office promotes a civil and inclusive campus community by providing informal, impartial, and confidential conflict management services to all members of the university community.
  • The Office of Equity and Inclusion works to ensure that all university community members uphold federal and state civil rights laws and regulations, as well as university equal opportunity policies. 
  • The Center for HR Solutions interprets bargaining contract language, employment law, and University policy and procedures; manages reclassification process, and oversees compensation and leave programs.

All classified employees at OSU are represented by the SEIU/Oregon Public Employees Union (SEIU) and covered by the Collective Bargaining Agreement. Although membership in the union is optional, the collective bargaining agreement requires the University to collect monthly dues or fair-share contributions from the paychecks of classified employees. You can find more information and details about classified employment in the Classified Employee Handbook.

Travel expenses only:

  • The department who has the non-employee needs to visit the travel and expense website.  Under resources there is a checklist for non-employees, along with a travel reference sheet and reimbursement form.


Paid Honorarium (speaker fee):

  • If you will be paying an honorarium, be sure to start this process well in advance of the speaker’s arrival, as it may take some time to get everything set up. If travel expenses will be paid along with an honorarium, these expenses should be included with the honorarium and not reimbursed separately. Direct billing is allowed for airfare, lodging, and meals for speakers. Also, be aware that if the speaker has a contract that they require OSU to sign, then this will have to be routed through Contract Services. Contact your Business Center for assistance.
  • Paid Honorarium, less than $5,000:
    • Fill out a Vendor Payment Form. The guest speaker and department budget authority must sign the form, and then submit it to the Business Center for processing.
  • Paid Honorarium, more than $5,000

If you are retiring, visit the Office of Human Resources Retirement Resources page for information and forms that you will need.

If you are terminating your employment for any reason, contact your Business Center Human Resources department for assistance.

Refer to the Employee Exit Checklist as a guide to assist you in the exit process.

Federal requirements regarding employing veterans require us to post all positions. 

We recommend the following suggested posting minimums to ensure a solid applicant pool:

  • Student positions: at least 3 business days
  • Temporary positions: at least 5 business days
  • Classified positions: at least 7 business days
  • Unclassified and Academic Wage positions: at least 14 calendar days

Your department or college may have established other guidelines related to internal hiring goals, so you should also consult with your manager.

Contact the Employee Benefits Department at (541) 737-2805 or by e-mail at