Charges to Student Accounts

What are the tuition and fee rates?

Please see the Tuition Information page.

What are all the different types of mandatory fees?

All degree seeking students pay the Building, Incidental, Student Health Service and Counseling Service fees each term. Descriptions of these fees are as follows:

  • Building Fee- A Fee assessed each term to all students. These projects include recreational and student union types of buildings.
  • Incidental Fee- A fee assessed each term to all OSU students. Rates vary by institution, and are established at OSU by a committee with student representation. The committee responds to requests for allocation of funds from student groups, athletics and the operation of the student union. Committee appropriations are approved by the President.
  • Counseling/Health Service Fees- Are fees which are assessed of all students each term. Rates are established on each campus and vary, depending upon such factors as enrollment, level of service offered to students, and operation costs of the facilities. The fee entitles the student to avail himself or herself of the health care and counseling services offered. It is required as a prerequisite to purchasing student health insurance. The fee is not health insurance.

I have my own health insurance must I pay the Student Health Service Fee?

Yes, the Student Health Service fee is mandatory for all degree seeking students.

What are resource fees?

Certain departments on campus have elected to assess all of their students resource fees each term. A list of the departments requiring these fees can be found at our Student Fees page.

What are course fees?

Certain courses require an additional fee to cover specific, tangible goods or services received in conjunction with taking a specific class. Any course with a specific course fee will list the additional fee in the Schedule of Classes.

What is an Undergraduate Matriculation fee?

New undergraduates are charged a one-time fee at the start of their first term at OSU. This fee provides access to a variety of OSU programs and services at no additional charge. Programs and services included in the fee include, but are not limited to, open house programs, START, CONNECT, Odyssey, pre-enrollment advising, course drop/add/withdrawal, and official transcripts.

What mandatory fees are Cascades Campus students required to pay?

Cascades campus students pay all of the mandatory fees with the exception of the Student Health Service and Counseling Service fees.

I am a Non Degree Seeking Student taking 8 credits or less what fees am I required to pay?

Non degree seeking students taking 8 credits or less are required to pay all mandatory fees except the Student Health Service and Counseling Service Fees.

I have a charge on my account that says "Refund Tuition/Scholarship", What does this mean?

A line item with a description reading "Refund Tuition/Scholarship" indicates that a refund check or direct deposit is in process for your account.

How do I dispute a charge on my account?

To dispute a charge you must contact the charging entity, as they have the detailed information regarding the origination of the charge (i.e. Pharmacy charges, contact Student Health Department; Meal plan charge, contact Housing and Dining Services; Grade change or Late registration fee, contact Registrar's office; Late or lost book fees, contact Valley Library). The charging department will contact Student Finance when a dispute has been resolved, and process a correction if required. Students disputing a charge should inform the charging department within 60 days of the date of the billing. This ensures that the account is kept up-to-date. It is best to submit your dispute in writing, and follow-up on the status of the dispute within 30 days.

I believe that my residency status is incorrect, what should I do?

For questions regarding residency status please contact the Admissions office.

Billing Statements/eBill

When is my bill due?

Billing statements are available around the 5th of each month and are due upon receipt. Interest is assessed on unpaid balances following the 1st day of the next month.

When is interest assessed?

Interest is assessed monthly after the 1st of each month. Our interest rate is 12% APR which works out to be 1% per month.

Where is my statement being mailed?

Current students receive all of their billing statements electronically through eBill. Paper statements are not sent out to currently enrolled students. When an eBill is issued the student receives an email to their ONID email address letting then know that their statement is ready to view. The student can then log on to the eBill website at to view, print or even pay online via eCheck. More information about eBill along with frequently asked eBill questions can be found on the eBill website.

Students that are not currently enrolled and do not have an active ONID email address will receive paper billing statements by mail. These statements are generally sent to the student's current mailing address on file unless the student provides an alternate billing address.

Can my parent or another person also receive a copy of my eBill?

Students can set up a parent or other third party as an authorized user in eBill. Authorized users are emailed their own username and password so that they can go in and view, print or make payments online using eCheck. Authorized users also receive email notification just like the student when billing statements are available to view.

To set up an authorized user in eBill the student would log onto the eBill site at, click on the authorized users tab and follow the instructions. Once the student has completed this step an email is sent to the authorized user with the authorized user's user name and password. Students can have as many authorized users as they wish.

Making Payments on Student Accounts

How can I pay?

OSU currently accepts eChecks, paper checks, cash, and Visa/MasterCard as methods of payment.

  • eCheck payments can be made online through eBill at
  • Checks can be mailed, dropped off in our drop box either in Kerr Admin or brought directly to the Cashier's Office.
  • Cash payments can be made at the Cashier's Office in Kerr.
  • Students can use Student Online Services as a convenience option for making credit card payments.

How do I pay by eCheck?

To pay by eCheck the student or authorized user would need to log into the eBill site at and click on the pay icon. The system will then guide you through the process of making a payment. You will need to have your bank routing and account number available. Checking account information can be saved so that it does not need to be reentered each time you wish to make a payment.

If you have authorized other people to use eBill and eCheck, the authorized users will not be able to view your bank account information, nor will you be able to view theirs.

Please see the eBill website for more frequently asked questions about eBill/eCheck.

How do I pay with a credit card online?

OSU offers Student Online Services as a convenience option for making credit card payments, students can opt out of this option by utilizing one of our other payment methods. Once you have logged on to Student Online Services, then:

Select Account Information
Select Credit Card Payment
Enter Credit Card Information and Submit

Financial Aid Refunds

I have a charge on my account that says "Refund Tuition/Scholarship", What does this mean?

A line item with a description reading "Refund Tuition/Scholarship" indicates that a refund check or direct deposit is in process for your account.

Why does my financial aid refund look like a charge on my account?

A refund check is issued because there has been an overpayment on an account. Refund checks appear as a charge to offset the overpayment.

How do I get my financial aid refund check or direct deposit?

For information regarding refund checks please see our refund policy.

How do I set up direct deposit?

Students can sign up for direct deposit through their account at Student Online Services. The direct deposit form can be found by logging onto Student Online Services, selecting "Personal Information" and then "View or Update Direct Deposit Authorization." Students wishing to set up direct deposit for refund checks should fill out the section labeled "Student Accounts/Employee Payables".

It takes approximately one week to set up direct deposit for refunds. If a refund is issued during the one week processing time it will be issued as a check.

When is Financial Aid money available?

Fall, Winter and Spring Terms- The first day of classes each term, for those students who's financial aid we fully processed by the Wednesday prior to the start of the term. For the full schedule, please see our Refund Policy.


Can you send me my Alternative Loan Check?

Yes, however OSU cannot be responsible for checks lost in the mail - you will need to contact your lender.

I lost my Financial Aid refund check, how do I get a replacement?

You must complete a Lost Check Affidavit form (available at Window 13 in Kerr Admin Building). We are required to wait 10 business days before issuing a replacement check.

How do I contact the Financial Aid office?

The Financial Aid Office can be reached by telephone at (541) 737-2241, by email at or via their website

Student Privacy (FERPA)

What is FERPA?

FERPA stands for Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act. Release of student records at Oregon State University is bound by federal law (FERPA), the Oregon Revised Statutes and by the Oregon Administrative Rules. FERPA restricts the type of information the university can share with students, individuals (including parents) and entities outside Oregon State University; unless specifically authorized, in writing, by the student. Authorization forms are available at the Student Account windows in the Kerr Administration Building.

I would like someone other than myself (the student) to be able to get information on my account, what do I need to do?

A Release of Confidential Student Records Form must be on file with the Student Accounts Office before student account information can be released to anyone other than the student. Release forms for academic year 2005-2006 (Summer Term 2005-Spring Term 2006) can be signed now at the Student Accounts Office in Kerr. Students may sign FERPA release forms for academic year 2006-2007 starting April 10, 2006.

Being an authorized user in eBill is not a substitute for having a valid FERPA release form on file. Even if student has set up an authorized user in eBill the student account office would still need a valid release form on file to discuss specific account information. Release forms signed at the Student Accounts Office only apply to student account information. Students seeking to release other student information should contact the department involved to determine that department's requirements for release of information.

I'm in a Study Abroad program, how do I set up Power of Attorney so that someone can help with my finances while I'm overseas?

The Cashier's Office has a packet of information you can pick up.

What is a Notary Public?

Someone that has been licensed to provide official validation for authenticity of a signature for an official document. You must sign the document in the presences of the Notary Public, and have valid photo ID.

Perkins Loans

What does the OSU Business Affairs/Student Loan office do?

We administer the Federal Perkins Loan program, the OSU Institutional Loan program, and the OSU Pharmacy Professional Loan program.

What is a Federal Perkins Loan?

Federal Perkins Loan is a low-interest loan for both undergraduate and graduate students with financial need. OSU administers the Federal Perkins Loan program in compliance with regulations established and monitored the U.S. Department of Education. This program depends upon payments made by former OSU students to provide most of the money it lends to current students. Federal Perkins Loans have a fixed interest rate of 5%, which begins to accrue 9 months after the borrower ceases to be at least a half-time student. These loans carry a number of deferment and cancellation provisions.

Where do I sign my Federal Perkins Loan promissory note?

All promissory notes are completed online. The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships will send an email to your ONID account with a link to ECSI and instructions on how to complete the process.

Why hasn't my Federal Perkins Loan gone in to my student account?

There are many reasons why a loan has not been disbursed to a student's account, but the most common reasons are:

  • The student has not signed the promissory note;
  • The student is not enrolled full time;
  • Financial Aid has placed a hold on the student's financial aid

What do I do when I leave OSU?

During your last term at OSU, please stop by the Kerr Administration Building, Window 16. You will be given information about completing your Exit Interview online. The Exit Interview provides you with all the important information for repaying your loan and keeping your account in good standing. We will also answer any questions you may have about your Perkins Loan rights and responsibilities.

It is also your responsibility to notify the OSU Student Loan Office when you change your address. The contact information is:

OSU Student Loan Office
P.O. Box 1086
Corvallis, OR 97339-1086.

(541) 737-3778

When do I begin repaying my Federal Perkins Loan?

Repayment on your loan will begin nine months after you cease to be enrolled in at least a half-time course of study. During this "grace period" payments need not be made and interest will not accrue. When the grace period expires, principal and interest will begin to accrue and your first payment will be due the next month. Our billing service will send you a notice when your grace period has expired (See Q 7.4 below).

How much will my payments be?

Repayment of your Federal Perkins Loan is based upon the total amount you borrowed. The minimum payment is $40.00/month. There is a maximum 10-year repayment period; therefore your monthly payments may be higher depending upon the total amount of your loan. For your payment amount, refer to your Student Loan Repayment Schedule. Please note that this schedule may be invalidated by submission of forms requesting deferment or cancellation, or by making late payments. You may prepay all or any part of your loan at any time without a penalty. Any overpayment or prepayment is applied to principal only, unless you request otherwise. Any payment made during your grace period or while eligible for a deferment will save you money as no interest is charged.

How will I be billed?

Payments are due on the 15th of every month. A bill will be mailed approximately 15 days before each due date. Returning the bottom portion of your bill is recommended. If that is not possible, please put your Student ID number, or the last four of your social security number, on your check to ensure proper application to your account.

OSU partners with a billing service named ECSI (Educational Computer Systems, Inc.). Below is their contact information:

Oregon State University
181 Montour Run Rd
Coraopolis PA 15108-9408

(888) 549-3274

OSU's School Code: 80

If you are interested in having your payment automatically deducted from your checking or savings account, please contact ECSI.

What if I have a Federal Perkins Loan from another school?

If you have a Federal Perkins Loan at another institution, you may request to have your minimum payment divided proportionately between the two loans. The loans are still separate and separate payments must be made. For example, if you have a $1,000 loan at OSU and a $1,000 loan at another institution, your payment to OSU can be adjusted to $20.00 and your payment to the other institution to $20.00 (based on $40.00/month minimum payment). Before this adjustment can be made, documentation of the other loan must be sent to both schools.

What if I can't make my loan payments?

If you are unable to make your payment by the date due, it is very important that you contact the Student Loan Office immediately. We will cooperate with you in every way possible. If you should become ill, or have a financial emergency, you may be allowed to make reduced payments--or in cases of extreme financial hardship--defer your payments temporarily. Interest will continue to accrue during this period. The longer you wait to contact us regarding any problem you have, the larger that problem will become.

What happens if I don't make my payments and don't contact the OSU Business Affairs/Student Loan office?

A late charge is assessed when a payment is more than 10 days past due. A late charge may also be assessed when deferment or cancellation documentation is submitted late. A hold will be placed on your academic transcript and additional financial aid until the past-due portion of your loan is cleared. Your State of Oregon Income Tax refund may be intercepted and applied to your past-due account. If you do not respond to our internal collection efforts, your account will be referred to an outside collection agency. If this happens, your loan is accelerated. This means the entire unpaid balance of your loan becomes due and payable, together with all accrued interest, late charges, collection costs, and legal fees. Once your account has been referred to an outside collection agency, you must deal directly with them rather than OSU.

What can I do if I default on my Federal Perkins Loan?

If you default on your Federal Perkins Loan, you may rehabilitate your defaulted loan by requesting the rehabilitation and by making an on-time, monthly payment, as determined by OSU, each month for nine consecutive months. If you successfully rehabilitate your Federal Perkins Loan, you will again be subject to the terms and conditions and qualify for the benefits and privileges of your original promissory note and the default will be removed from your credit history. You can rehabilitate a defaulted Federal Perkins Loan only once.

What if I dispute my Federal Perkins Loan?

If you dispute the terms of your Federal Perkins Loan in writing and OSU is unable to resolve the dispute, you may seek the assistance of the Department of Education's Student Loan Ombudsman. The Ombudsman will review and attempt to informally resolve your dispute and may be reached at 1-877-557-2575.

Can I consolidate all of my student loans?

A number of private financial institutions offer a student loan consolidation program. Consolidation may be available to you if your eligible student loans total more than $7,500. This service permits borrowers to reduce monthly payments and pay only one lender for all their student loans. Consolidation lowers monthly payments, but increases the total loan repayment amount because of a longer repayment period.

Contact the Student Loan Office if you are considering consolidation or have any questions about the consolidation of your Perkins Loan. We will inform you of any cancellation benefits that would be lost if your loan is consolidated.

What if I am an Armed Forces Reservist and I'm called to active duty?

Your initial nine-month grace period excludes any period during which you are a member of a reserve component of the Armed Forces named in section 10101 of Title 10, United States Code, and you are called or ordered to active duty for a period of more than 30 days. Any single period excluded from your grace period may not exceed three years and includes the time necessary for you to resume enrollment at the next available, regular enrollment period. You must notify OSU of the beginning and ending dates of your service.

You may also defer your loan if you are a regular member of the Armed Forces and are assigned to a duty station at a location other than the duty station at which you are normally assigned, in connection with a war, military operation, or national emergency (Loans received July 1, 2001 and after)

In addition, the Department of Defense administers a program whereby certain branches of the Armed Forces will repay a designated portion of a student loan when a borrower enlists or re-enlists. Repayment will be made after each complete year of satisfactory service.

How do I defer payments on my Federal Perkins Loan?

Principal need not be paid and interest will not accrue during a period when our office is officially notified of a qualifying event. Please see Perkins Loan Program Deferments.

How can I cancel my Federal Perkins Loan?

The National Defense Education Act and subsequent amendments provide for full or partial cancellation of loans under the certain circumstances. Please see Perkins Loan Program Cancellations.

Emergency Loans

How do I get an emergency loan?

An emergency loan application can be picked up at the Student Finance window (window 13), the Cashier window or in the lobby of the Kerr Admin Building. Complete application then remit to the Cashier window for determination of eligibility. If eligibility is denied you may submit original application and a letter of appeal to Student Finance (window 13). Appeal requests will be reviewed for exception within 2 business days. Petitions for students with outstanding emergency loans may not be considered.


Why is there a hold on my account and how can I get the hold removed?

The Collection Department places holds on accounts for several reasons.

The hold codes are BR, BB, BP and BC.

BR is a hold blocking registration. The hold is placed on a current students account if their student account current billed balance is over $2200.00 at the time registration begins for a term. The BR registration hold is removed when the students current billed account balance is paid down to $2200.00. Please note: Beginning with Winter Term students will need to have a balance of $2,200.00 or less to be able to register and their outstanding balance will need to be only from the two most recent terms. For more infomation please see Important Information Regarding Registration.

BB is a hold blocking registration and transcripts placed on a Cascade Campus student who has a current billed balance at the start of registration for a term. The BB or Cascades Campus hold is removed when the students current billed balance is paid in full.

BP is a hold blocking the release of transcripts when a currently enrolled student has a prior term billed balance owing on their student account. The BP hold will be removed when the student has paid the prior term billed balance owing on their student account.

BC is a collection hold. The BC hold means the student must pay their student account balance in full for registration or transcripts. This may also mean that OSU has placed the student account with an outside collection agency; which requires the OSU balance plus any additional collections to be paid before the hold can be removed. The student must contact the Collection Department to confirm the balance owing at 541-737-3002 or 1-800-858-1061.

The BC hold may also pertain to a student owing a Federal Perkins Loan. The loan must be in good standing and may need to be discussed with the Collection Department before the hold will be removed. Call 541-737-3002 or 1-800-432-6318 for help with a Perkins Loan hold.

Why do I have an insurance hold?

Check with OSU Student Health Services. The Business Affairs office does not administer that particular hold.

Why do I have an admissions hold?

Check with OSU Admissions Office. The Business Affairs office does not administer that particular hold.

I am a current student, why can't I register?

You may have "hold" on your account, which requires you to do something to remove it. A registration hold generally exists because your student account exceeds $2200 limit. OSU policy requires that you pay your account down to at least $2200 before you can register for the next term. Please note: Beginning with Winter Term students will need to have a balance of $2,200.00 or less to be able to register and their outstanding balance will need to be only from the two most recent terms. For more infomation please see Important Information Regarding Registration.

I have financial aid coming for next term; can I use those funds to remove my hold now?

By federal law, federal aid can only be used for the term in which the funds are being disbursed, and cannot automatically be used to pay for prior term debt. OSU does not recognize the availability of future term aid until you meet eligibility to register.

I'm a former student, how much do I have to pay to have my registration hold removed?

Former students (those not enrolled in the most recent term, with the exception of Summer) must pay their accounts paid in full before they are eligible to register.

After I resolve my hold, when can I expect the hold to be removed?

The process is automated, and the hold should be removed in a matter of minutes. However, you can verify that the hold is removed by contacting the Collections or the Student Accounts department.


Why is there a transcript hold on my account?

The OSU policy regarding release of transcripts states that the student must have his/her account balance paid in full in order to receive their transcripts. This means any balance relating to a term for which grades have been posted to your transcripts, must be paid in full before any transcripts will be released.

I need my transcripts to be sent to another school, but I have a hold. What do I do?

The OSU policy regarding release of transcripts states that student must have his/her account balance paid in full in order to receive their transcripts. This means any balance relating to a term for which grades have been posted to your transcript, must be paid in full before any transcript will be released.

I need my transcripts for a job application or to get my "XXXX Certification"

The OSU policy regarding release of transcripts states that student must have his/her account balance paid in full in order to receive their transcript. This means any balance relating to a term for which grades have been posted to your transcript, must be paid in full before any transcript will be released.

What does it cost to obtain a copy of my official transcript?

OSU does not charge a fee to obtain official or unofficial transcripts. If your request requires "rush" delivery, please contact the Registrar's office for costs.

How long does it take to get a copy of my official transcript?

Requests are usually processed within 3 business days. For more information about transcript turn around times, please contact the Registrar's office.

Past Due Accounts for Non Enrolled Students

What happens once an account is placed in collections?

Once an account is placed in collections, the account is assessed a one-time, $50.00 non-refundable fee, then a collection (BC) hold is placed on the account. If the account belongs to a student or former student at OSU, university services will be withheld, including: registration and transcripts requests. Revenue Agents will begin to contact account holders by telephone or in writing at the phone numbers and addresses given to the university by the student or account holder. If contact has been unsuccessful or payment has not been received and due diligence has been completed the account will be reviewed, assessed collection fees and placed with an outside collection service.

What am I expected to pay?

OSU requests payment in full each month.

What happens when I don't (or can't) make payments?

University services will be withheld, including, but not limited to, registration, grades, transcripts and diplomas until the debt is paid in full. All debts not paid in a timely manner may be referred to a Collection Agency. If it is deemed necessary to refer the account to an agency, the debtor (student/account holder) will be responsible for all collection costs and legal fees.

Can I get a deferment on my Student account balance?

Your student account is a revolving charge agreement with OSU. This account is not a loan; thus not eligible for deferment.

Where can I pay my bill?

Online through OSU eBill system or OSU Student Online Service

Drop box: in the lobby of the Kerr Admin Building
Mail to: OSU Cashier's, PO BOX 1086, Corvallis, OR 97331
In person: At the cashier's windows in the Kerr Admin Building

My account is past due because my parents haven't been getting the bills. What should I do?

Statements are sent to the student's current mailing address. Students are required to maintain the address to which they want their billing statement to be mailed.

How do I change my address?

Address changes are made by the student through OSU Student Online Services.

Check Cashing

Can I cash my payroll check at the Cashier's Office?

Yes, up to $500.

Can I cash a personal check?