Fiscal Operations Manual
Section 415: Relocation and Moving
Effective: 02/01/1982
Revised: 01/23/2015

Relocating, or moving, expenses are those incurred as a result of moving to a new location for employment.

See FIS 415-04 Reimbursements for rates and receipt requirements.  Certain moving expenses are taxable to the employee.

For new employees teaching summer session only, travel costs for one round trip may be reimbursed when necessary to employ qualified personnel.

Allowable moving expenses include:

  • Moving Transportation Between New and Old Location
    • Airfare – one-way trip for each "household" member as defined by the Internal Revenue Service
    • Private vehicle mileage – reimbursed at the rate per mile, up to two one-way trips
    • Rental vehicle – cost of rental vehicle plus fuel
  • Meals and Lodging: reimbursed at a rate up to OSU moving per diem rate, up to a total of ten days of meal and lodging expenses for the employee and any household members. Total is combined with house hunting trips – for example, the employee takes four(4) days for house hunting, they will have six(6) days left to claim for moving.
  • Salary while moving: up to ten days, if moving occurs after start date (total is combined with house hunting)
  • Moving personal effects (reimbursed at actual expense):
    • Packing, including packing supplies (boxes, tape, etc) – up to $1,000
    • Commercial moving company
    • Insurance on personal effects
    • Storage – up to 90 days
  • Miscellaneous expenses – up to $1,500 (reimbursed at actual expense):
    • Might include
      • Closing costs
      • Utility hookups
    • Does not include
      • Refundable deposits
      • Household furnishings or décor