Policy Steward: 
Director of Vendor Payment Strategies
Format Updated: 
University Policy & Standards Converted: 
Revision Date: 
Tuesday, September 10, 2013

* This information replaces FIS 410-22 Licenses and Occupational Fees 


The state, county or city requires licenses, certificates or permits for some occupations. Examples include the plumber’s certificate of competency, journeyman electrician’s license, and apprentice electrician’s permit. Such instruments are issued to individuals to confirm their qualification and authorization to work in their craft.

Unless agreed to as part of the initial hiring process or a requirement that becomes pertinent after an individual is already in the position, OSU employees are personally responsible for obtaining required occupational licenses, certificates or permits. University funds are not used to pay for an employee obtaining the required credentials (including associated preparatory courses or materials) or to reimburse the employee for obtaining them.

University funds may be used for renewals of permits, licenses or certifications for current OSU employees, if associated with an individuals’ job scope and/or position description and approved by department head or their supervisor.

In addition, many certificates required for employees in the maintenance trades are not occupational licenses in the same vein as those for electricians and plumbers. These include site licenses for OSU as an electrical contractor, an elevator contractor, restricted energy and HVAC electrical. They are for the work at hand, and do not belong to the employee. Other licenses include:

  1. Certified Arborist Licenses
  2. Limited Maintenance Electrical Licenses
  3. Asbestos Abatement and Supervisor Licenses
  4. Confined space entry / supervisor certification
  5. Back flow protection device testing certification
  6. Pool operator’s certification
  7. Universal certification of refrigeration mechanics
  8. Notary Public license, if the license is critical to the operation of the unit

If the department pays the fees for the licenses or certifications listed above, the license or certification will be in the University’s name, University’s address, and will expire when the employee leaves employment of the University.