Program Codes Decision Tree
Activity or responsibility: Dean or Department Head
Options: Depends on the area of responsibility
- A Dean who also teaches a class – Salary is split between INSTRUCTION and DEPARTMENTAL ADMINISTRATION according to the percentage of time spent on each function.
- Department head receives an administrative stipend in addition to teaching a class – The portion of the salary that is administrative stipend must be charged 100% to DEPARTMENTAL ADMINISTRATION. Regular salary is split between INSTRUCTION and DEPARTMENTAL ADMINISTRATION in accordance with the percent of time spent on each function.
Activity: Take a trip
Options: Depends on the Primary purpose of the trip
- To present a paper on progress of sponsored research – RESEARCH (Sponsored dollars or cost share)
- To present a paper regarding unsponsored research – INSTRUCTION AND DEPARTMENTAL RESEARCH.
- To attend a conference for professional development that benefits department activities – DEPARTMENTAL ADMINISTRATION.
- To meet with a potential sponsor to provide information – DEPARTMENTAL ADMINISTRATION.
- Travel to look at a facility as part of the planning process for construction of new facilities – PHYSICAL PLANT OPERATIONS AND MAINTENANCE.
- Meet with alumni or potential donors. This is fund raising. Cost should be submitted directly to the OSU Foundation.
Activity: Researcher on a federally funded project invites graduates of her department to dinner to recognize their work in the technical area of her project.
- This is an alumni activity. Any request for reimbursement should be submitted directly to the OSU Foundation.
Activity: Prepare and send handouts to Printing
Options: Depends on the Primary purpose for the handouts.
- If syllabi or other class materials for teaching or training activities of the university – INSTRUCTION.
- If handouts to be distributed at University Training Days–GENERAL ADMINISTRATION.
Activity: Purchase periodicals
Options: Depends for whom the periodicals are purchased.
- Periodicals to be located in the Valley Library or the Guinn Library at Hatfield Marine Science Center – LIBRARIES.
- Periodicals to be located in a departmental library – DEPARTMENTAL ADMINISTRATION.
Activity: Payment of telephone charges
Options: Depends on the primary purpose for the telephone calls.
- If long distance telephone charges can be identified to one specific activity or program, or can be reasonably prorated between programs or activities – RESEARCH, OTHER SPONSORED ACTIVITIES, INSTRUCTION
- If the charges cannot be specifically identified to an activity or program or reasonably prorated – DEPARTMENTAL ADMINISTRATION.
Note: All telephone unit and line charges are DEPARTMENTAL ADMINISTRATION
Activity: Clerical support
Options: Depends on the primary purpose of the support.
- Full time support to develop survey documents for a sponsored research project – RESEARCH.
- Full time clerical support for development of instructional materials – INSTRUCTION
- General clerical support for various departmental activities – DEPARTMENTAL ADMINISTRATION
Activity: Advertising and Public Relations
Options: Depends on the primary purpose of the advertising.
- If a researcher advertises for a technical writer to assist in writing the quarterly report to the agency that granted the funds – RESEARCH.
- A college wants to put on a fair to display various research projects and activities being undertaken in the department, and will hire students to put together the displays – DEPARTMENTAL ADMINISTRATION.