Payroll Policy and Procedure Manual
Section 400: Payment of Unclassified Employees
- 401 Unclassified Appointment
- 401-01 Job and Labor Distribution Tasks
- 401-02 Pay Methods - Default / Hourly Pay
- 401-03 Accounting for Labor Charges
Unclassified salary is paid to regular fixed-term, tenure track, or tenured faculty members who have been hired to meet ongoing university missions of teaching, research, extension, and service.
Unclassified positions include professorial, research, and instructor positions as well as unclassified administrative appointments. For a complete list and definitions see the Academic Appointment Guidelines on the Human Resources website.
401: Unclassified Appointment
401-01 Job and Labor Distribution Tasks
401-01a New Hire / Job Change Tasks
- Use the Job Tasks menu in the Oregon State Central Administrative Resources (OSCAR) website to authorize pay for initial appointments, report changes of appointment %, and to report changes in contract length during the fiscal year.
- To obtain this form, After logging in (OSCAR) website, go to Business Center Tasks and complete the appropriate online tasks.
- Each Business Center creates, routes and approves the Job Tasks via EPAF processing.
401-01b Labor Distribution Task
- Use the Labor Distribution Task to report changes to prior, current, or future distributions.
- To access this task, log onto OSCAR, click on "Online Tasks" - "Payroll Changes" and click on "Job Labor Distribution Change form" (excel format). It is also found in the Downloadable Forms.
- Each Business Center enters their own Labor Distribution tasks/forms. Only redistributions crossing fiscal years or redistributions on grants going back more than 3 months need to be approved by the Office of Post Award Administration (OPAA).;
401-02 Pay Methods - Default/Hourly Pay
401-02a Default Pay
- Default pay is used for all regular academic appointments, ie. Salaried unclassified employees.
- Pay issued covers the period from the first of the month through the end of the month.
401-02b Hourly Pay
- Hourly pay is used for additional other academic pay, academic Sea Pay differential, overtime for any overtime-eligible employees and vacation payouts.
- Hourly pay is used for overtime on any overtime-eligible employees, academic sea pay differential and other academic pay. and in processing vacation payout's.
- Payroll data is entered in PYAHOUR during time entry each month. Refer to the Payroll Calendar for specific dates.
- Refer to Unclassified/Faculty Earn Codes for the correct Earn Codes and Account Codes to use.
401-03 Accounting for Labor Charges
Labor is charged to specific indexes and account codes. Use of activity codes is generally at the discretion the department.
401-03a Index & Account Code
- Must be an open and valid index owned by the employing department.
- The index should must remain open through the last day of the month payment issued to the employee. Otherwise it may error out when posted to finance.
- Refer to Unclassified/Faculty Earn Codes for account code information.
See PAY-Ex1: Unclassified Employee Information Matrix for additional information.