Payroll Policy and Procedure Manual
Section 400: Payment of Unclassified Employees
- 402 Academic Wage Appointment
- 402-01 Payment Process
- 402-02 Job and Labor Distribution Forms
- 402-03 Pay Methods - Default / Hourly Pay
- 402-04 Social Security Exemption
- 402-05 Accounting for Labor Charges
Academic Wage Appointment
Unclassified appointments intended for short term, non-recurring, non-teaching assignments, typically 90 calendar days or less in duration. Term also used for unclassified 1040-hour appointments (returning retirees in unclassified positions). For more information refer to Human Resources publication, Academic Wage Appointments.
402 Academic Wage Appointment
402-01 Payment Process
- After logging in on the Oregon State Central Administrative Resources (OSCAR) website, click on "Online Tasks" - "Hire Employee" - "Academic Wage" and complete the appropriate online task.
- Enter monthly timecard data in PYAHOUR for hourly employees (UW e-class).
- Archive time sheets for hourly employees.
402-02 Job and Labor Distribution Forms
402-02a Job Form
- The Job Form is used to authorize pay for initial appointments, report changes of appointment %, and to report changes in contract length during the fiscal year.
- To obtain this form, log onto the Oregon State Central Administrative Resources (OSCAR) website, click on "Online Tasks" - "Hire Employee" - "Academic Wage" and complete the appropriate online task.
- Job forms should be routed to OHR.
402-02b Labor Distribution Form
- Use the Labor Distribution form to report changes to prior, current, or future distributions
- To obtain this form, log onto OSCAR, click on "Online Tasks" - "Payroll Changes" scroll to "Miscellaneous" - "Labor Distribution form" (excel format).
- Forward Labor Distribution forms to OHR for new hires and send directly to the Payroll Office for changes of labor distributions.
402-03 Pay Methods - Default/Hourly Pay
402-03a Default Pay
- Default Pay is used for all monthly salaried academic appointments (UV e-class)
- Pay is issued for the period from the first of the month through the end of the month.
402-03b Hourly Pay
- Hourly Pay is used for all hourly salaried academic appointments (UW e-class)
- Pay is issued for the period from the 16th of the prior month through the 15th of the current month.
- Hourly pay is used to pay overtime for any overtime eligible employees, sea pay and other differentials as well as processing vacation payout's.
- Payroll data is entered in PYAHOUR during time entry each month. Refer to the Payroll Calendar for specific dates.
- Refer to Unclassified/Faculty Earn Codes for the correct Earn Codes and Account Codes to use.
402-04 Social Security Exemption
All academic wage employees are subject to Social Security and Medicare withholding unless they qualify for a non-resident alien exemption.
402-05 Accounting for Labor Charges
Labor is charged to specific indexes and account codes. Use of activity codes is the choice of the department.
- Must be an open index owned by the employing department.
- Must remain open through the last day of the month payment is issued to the employee.
402-05b Account Code
Refer to Unclassified/Faculty Earn Codes for account code information.
SeePAY-Ex1: Unclassified Appointment Information Matrix.