Payroll Policy and Procedure Manual
Section 600: Special Payment Situations
To comply with Oregon Revised Statute 652.140.
Oregon law requires that all earned wages be paid to employees who are separating from employment within specific time periods. Which time period applies depends on how the separation of employment occurs and if a collective bargaining agreement is involved.
All wages earned will be paid to employees whose employment is ending according to the schedule shown below. This includes student employees whose employment has ended and have left OSU.
Payroll will issue a special check for a terminating employee’s final pay. The check will be made available in accordance with the provisions of Oregon law:
- Employee quits with less than 48 hours notice
Payment is due in 5 days, exclusive of weekends and holidays.
- Employee gives 48 hours notice
Payment is due on the final work day.
- Employee is discharged
Payment is due immediately.
Payment may be made on the next regular payroll.
Request for Final Pay
|Business Ctr /Dept
- Complete a Termination Pay Request (Dept 003) to report a termination. After logging onto the Oregon State Central Administrative Resources (OSCAR) website, click on "Online Tasks" - "Payroll Changes" scroll to "Request Payment" - "Termination Pay" and complete the form. Report all pay due (include default pay, prorate as needed and any leave pay due) Be sure to include all specified attachments.
- Route the form directly to Central Payroll.
- Prepare other paperwork for employment termination and route as usual. The Business Center is responsible for terminating the employees job(s).
- Deliver the Termination Pay Request form to Central Payroll a minimum of one day before the check is required. To expedite the process, you may fax requests to Payroll at (541) 737-9490. Follow up by delivering or mailing the properly signed and completed original form to Payroll with a notation, "previously faxed."
Delivery of the Final Check
- Direct deposit is not available for the final check.
- Termination checks must be picked up at Central Payroll. Business Center personnel will be asked to sign for receipt of check.
Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI) website.