Payroll Policy and Procedure Manual
Section 700: Payroll Corrections/Adjustments
Effective: 01/01/2001
Revised: 5/7/2012


701 Payroll Errors

Payroll errors may be due to incorrect data, late paperwork, or input errors. Employing departments should advise their employees to report paycheck errors promptly. An examination of the following forms will help ensure that employee wages are being charged appropriately:

  • HRIS Data Warehouse reports
  • Employee Earnings Statement
  • Financial Reports
  • HRIS BC Payroll Screens 
  • Nolij Documents

701-01 Overpayments and Collections

701-01a  Reporting Overpayments
  • All overpayments must be reported by completing the Overpayment Notice (PAYROLL/DEPT005/5-25-2011))
  • After logging onto the Oregon State Central Administrative Resources (OSCAR) website, click on "Online Tasks" - "Payroll Changes" scroll to "Miscellaneous" - "Overpayment Notice" and complete the form. It is also available in the downloadable forms.
  • The completed notice is sent directly to Central Payroll.  Depending on the Business Center this may be done by either BC HR or Payroll staff.
  • Job changes are handled within the Business Centers, but any delays may prevent timely processing of overpayments. Therefore it is recommended that BC HR and Payroll staff communicate directly on these actions.
  • The Job form is required to confirm the overpayment for employees on Default Pay.
701-01b Collection Action

An overpayment notice is sent to the employee.  If the employee is still working for OSU and has regularly scheduled pay they may authorize Central Payroll to deduct it from future pay or they can pay it back directly. If the employee is no longer working at OSU, a letter will be sent requesting repayment. If Payroll is unsuccessful recouping the overpayment,  this may be sent to Collections who will charge a collection fee and monthly interest.

Note: Overpayments to classified employees will be collected in accordance with SEIU contract language.

701-02  Underpayments/No Payments

Employees should notify their Business Center if this occurs.  If a pay request was submitted by the Business Center and the employee is still underpaid or received no pay, the Business Center should notify Central Payroll. 

701-03  Other Errors

Business Centers should instruct employees to notify them immediately if an error has been made in an employee’s name, Social Security number, address, pay delivery, authorized deductions, tax withholdings, etc.  If it’s a correction outside of the Business Center’s ability to make, contact Central Payroll to determine appropriate action.