Property Management Policy & Procedure Manual
Section 200: Equipment Acquisition
Effective: 07/01/1996
Revised: 10/06/2015


To facilitate the reuse and acquisition of excess OSU, State and Federal property. 


Surplus Property

Property not needed by a department within the University. Surplus property includes all excess items and materials other than items that would be typically disposed of in a wastebasket, such as scrap paper, consumed pencils and pens, etc.

Background Information

OSU Surplus Property
OSU departments have access to a variety of used equipment. OSU Property Management staffs the Property Services warehouse at the corner of 13th and A streets in Corvallis, where departments may purchase OSU surplus equipment and supplies.

State & Federal Surplus Property
The Oregon Department of Administrative Services (DAS) in Salem offers state and federal surplus property for sale to state agencies.  Information on this program may be found on the website under State & Federal Surplus Property.

Federal Excess Property
Nationwide, the federal government also makes federal excess property available for use on federally-sponsored programs such as research projects, Agricultural Experiment Stations, etc.


Departments may purchase surplus property for university and sponsored use from the OSU Surplus Property Department and Oregon Department of Administration’s Services Surplus Property Management Office. 


Acquisition of Used Equipment

OSU Surplus Property
  1. Departments may purchase available surplus property at the Surplus Property warehouse on SW 13th and A streets in Corvallis, Oregon.
  2. General fund indexes may only be used (no federal grant/contract indexes may be used).
  3. Purchases can be made during regular business hours, except during closed periods prior to public auctions.  See the current sales schedule on the OSU Surplus Property Website.  Additional information is available at the Property Surplus website.
State Surplus Property

State surplus equipment acquisitions of less than $5,000 are considered minor equipment.  Acquisitions costing $5,000 or more must be inventoried.  If processed on a FIS Banner invoice, see PRO-Ex1: Creating an Asset Record from a Banner Invoice.  If not processed through FIS Banner, see PRO-Ex3: Fixed Asset Data Entry (FADE) Form.

Departments have two options for reviewing and acquiring Surplus Property through DAS in Salem, Oregon.

Option (1) The OSU employee can bring a letter of authorization (from their Department) to purchase items on a single day.  The letter may be either a general authorization to purchase any item or restricted to specific items.  The letter must be signed by an authorized representative of OSU.  Authorized signers for OSU are:

  • Mark McCambridge, Vice President for Finance& Administration
  • Brian Thorsness, Director - Property, Contract & Risk Management
  • Patsy Hendricks, Surplus Property Supervisor
  • Bil Burton, Equipment Systems Specialist

Option (2) An OSU employee can get permanent authorization to go to DAS by completing three forms found on the DAS State and Federal Surplus Property website

  • Application Return Checklist
  • Application for Eligibility
  • Certifications & Agreement form
  • Return Policy Agreement form

Click on "Eligibility" and then "State Agency, Boards & Commissions" to locate the forms.  These forms must be completed in advance, signed by the employee’s supervisor or Department Chair, and returned to DAS prior to the visit.  If an individual who is not on the application for eligibility wants to go to DAS, she or he may hand carry a letter from an eligible person.  If an item is purchased, the letter is attached to the DAS invoice.

Federal Surplus Property

Federal surplus property is recorded in a similar manner; however the "cost" of federal surplus property is really a handling fee from DAS rather than a capital expense-the property is donated to the state of Oregon by the U.S. General Services Administration. 

Departments may acquire property through this program or through other screeners who are certified to review and acquire surplus property for the state (contact Property Management for details).  In either case, the donation is coordinated through DAS, and a 5% or 6% fee is levied to pay for their handling costs.

Federal surplus property must be put in use for the purpose for which it was donated within one year of donation, and be kept in use for 12 months (18 months for vehicles and property with original acquisition cost of $5,000 or more).  If these terms are not met, possession reverts to DAS.  During this restriction period, title to the equipment vests with the federal government.

Federal Excess Property

Such property remains titled to the federal government and is considered "government furnished equipment" on loan to the university.  Title never reverts to the university.  Disposal of Federal Excess Property must be back to the original federal agency.  For details about Federal Excess Property acquisition and inventory, see PRO 900: Sponsored Research and Federal Property.

Additional Information

OSU Surplus Property website