Safety Policy & Procedure Manual
Section 100: General Safety
Revised: 03/24/2008


To provide guidance for appropriate action during emergencies.


The first three items listed should be visibly displayed on every Oregon State University telephone.

Emergency Telephone Numbers

Fire Department 911
Ambulance 911
Univ. Police & Public Safety (541) 737-7000
Environmental Health & Safety (541) 737-2273
Facilities Services (24-hr. service) (541) 737-4038
Radiation Safety (541) 737-2227


In Case of Fire

  1. Activate the building fire alarm by pulling the nearest wall "fire pull" to alert occupants.  The alarm does not always call fire fighters to the scene, but most alarms are connected to the campus notifier system that is monitored by the Public Safety Dispatch Center.
  2. Call the Corvallis Fire Department (911), and give the exact location of the fire.
  3. Evacuate occupants from the building.  Follow building evacuation procedures below.  Send someone outside the building to direct fire fighters to the scene.
  4. For small fires, use the closest appropriate fire extinguisher.  Do not use water on electrical fires.

Building Evacuation

When the alarm sounds, walk to the nearest usable exit.  Use the stairways and NEVER use the elevator because it can quickly become filled with smoke and be a firetrap when electrical power is lost.  Be aware of alternate exits from the building.

Before leaving the workstation, take personal valuables and lock up any valuable materials or documents.  Do not, however, endanger life through delay.  Assist non-ambulatory persons leaving the building.  (For detailed instructions, see SAF 204: Building Evacuation Planning.)

Use fire escape ladders only when the stairways are closed by fire.  Before opening a door during a fire, feel each door with the back of your hands before opening it.  If it feels hot, use an alternate exit.  If caught in smoke, keep low where the air is better.  Take short breaths through the nose.

When outside the building, do not block doorways or driveways.  Stay a minimum of 100 feet from the building. Do not return to the building until advised to do so by personnel in charge.

Emergency Treatment

Determine the extent of a person’s injury by checking for breathing, pulse, bleeding, possible fracture, and pain.  Administer first aid appropriate for the injuries if you are properly trained.

If the injured person is:

  • not conscious or ambulatory, dial 911 on any campus phone for the Corvallis Fire Department ambulance.  The ambulance crew will determine whether injured students should be transported to the Student Health Center or to the hospital.
  • conscious and ambulatory STAFF, arrange for transportation by car or ambulance to the hospital or doctor’s office as desired by injured person.  If a supervisor or fellow employee is not available to provide transportation, contact Public Safety at 7-7000 because they are responsible for ensuring that appropriate transportation is obtained.
  • conscious and ambulatory STUDENT, arrange transportation to the Student Health Center in Plageman Hall by calling Public Safety (7-7000) day or night.  Students may also go to their personal physicians if desired.

Accident Investigation

For accidents involving staff, the supervisor should immediately investigate the accident.  All accidents should be reported to the Office of Human Resources on the Report of Accident form.  Complete the SAIF 801 form and the HR Advocate Public Incident Reporting Form for all accidents resulting in lost time or off-campus medical attention.  See SAF 203: Accident Investigation for more information.

A faculty member, supervisor, or other involved person should immediately investigate the accident.  File the HR Advocate Public Incident Reporting Form with the Office of Human Resources, clearly indicating that the injured person is a student.  Student employees are covered by Workers’ Compensation, but students are not.  If the student employee receives medical attention or misses work, complete a SAIF 801 form in addition to the Report of Accident and send both forms to the Department of Human Resources.  See SAF 203: Accident Investigation for more information.