Safety Policy & Procedure Manual
Section 100: General Safety
To ensure the safety of University personnel, students and the general public during construction projects.
Construction and renovation activities on campus performed by either outside contractors or University workers will be performed in a manner that prevents injuries and protects the environment.
Construction Safety Program
The Construction Safety program has been established to ensure the safety of University personnel, students and the general public is an integral part of all construction projects on campus.
The Construction Safety program applies to all demolition and construction projects at the main campus.
The intent of the Construction Safety program is to establish minimum requirements for work site isolation and to perform a safety review of projects that may generate dust, noise, and odors or may encounter hazardous materials such as asbestos or lead. The program includes notification and involvement of Environmental Health & Safety (EH&S) by outside contractors prior to the start of any construction project.
Construction safety requirements have been established that relate specifically to work performed on campus. EH&S will discuss these requirements with contractors along with a schedule of any necessary safety inspections. The construction safety requirements that apply to construction on campus are as follows:
- All contractors and subcontractors shall come to the job trained in all Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) Standards applicable to the work process. This information can be found in OR-OSHA document titled “Occupational Hazards Common to Construction and Remodeling in Oregon.”
- All demolition or renovation projects require an initial survey for asbestos or lead containing materials. EH&S must be notified prior to the start of any demolition or construction activity so that they can perform any required survey.
- All construction and maintenance activities regardless of size and/or scope must be fenced, barricaded, or otherwise isolated to restrict entrance and to ensure the safety of those in the general area. EH&S will set the standards for project isolation.
- Any excavation across or adjacent to sidewalks or pathways which must be left open overnight, must be identified with working, blinking construction lights in addition to solid barricades.
- Contractors are required to fill out the "Oregon State University Construction Project Safety Form." Contact EH&S to obtained the form (541-737-2275).