Student Employment Policy & Procedure Manual
Section 500: Employment Eligibility Requirements
Effective: 03/01/1997
Revised: 1/18/2018


Students must be engaged in activities focused on obtaining a degree, or high school diploma, and meet the following minimum enrollment requirements for the applicable academic term or term break to be eligible for student employment.

When a student falls below the required enrolled credit hours during which they are employed, he/she loses eligibility for employment as a student employee and must cease work as a student employee.  Contact your assigned Business Center Human Resources to make the employment category correction.

Fall, Winter, and Spring Terms (Regular Terms) Minimum Enrollment Requirements

A student is eligible to be employed during a regular term employment for no more than 20 work hours per week provided he/she meets ALL of the following criteria:

  • Must be enrolled in a high school, community college, or university;
  • Must be engaged in academic coursework and activities that are directed at obtaining a degree (as opposed to coursework taken for personal interest or enrichment); and
  • Must meet the applicable minimal enrollment standards below to be considered by the educational institution she/he is attending as a diploma or degree-seeking student:
  • Must meet Satisfactory Academic Standing Requirements.  Students who meet Satisfactory Academic Standing Requirements must have a term and cumulative GPA of 2.0 or above.



High school student

Regularly enrolled in a high school or participating in a home schooling program


Undergraduate and post baccalaureate student*

6 credit hours per term

Undergraduate international student

12 credit hours per term**

Graduate student officially admitted to Graduate School (not an international student)

3 credit hours per term

Graduate student officially admitted to Graduate School and who is also an international student

9 credit hours per term**

* Enrollment in courses registered through Extended Campus may count toward student eligibility status provided they are shown to be appropriate to the student’s planned and continuing course of study to obtain a degree or high school diploma.

**International students may be allowed to carry fewer hours than specified above and still be considered “full-time” by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).  Exceptions to full-time enrollment are approved on a case-by-case basis by International Student Advising & Services. 

Summer Session Minimum Enrollment Requirements

U.S. Citizen and Resident Alien Students:  One of the following enrollment requirements must be met for student employment during Summer Session:

  • Must have attended a qualifying learning institution during the prior Spring term and intend to enroll as a degree seeking student at a qualifying learning institution for the upcoming Fall term.


  • Must be enrolled in Summer Session for at least 3 credit hours with the intent to enroll in Fall term for at least 6 credit hours as a regular, degree seeking undergraduate student (unless the student can show she/he is graduating at the end of Summer Session) or 3 credit hours as a graduate student for Fall term.

International Student:  International students must have continuously attended a qualifying learning institution full-time for the past 3 terms (unless newly admitted during the current academic year) or are attending summer session classes and intend to enroll for at least 12 credit hours for the upcoming Fall term (unless approved for a reduced course load through International Student Advising and Services).  Reduced course load approval letters are provided to the student and must be provided to human resources for verification.

Baccalaureate to Graduate School Students:  Students who have received their baccalaureate degrees at the end of Spring term and who plan to enter graduate school the subsequent Fall term, may be employed as student employees during the following Summer Session if they have been officially admitted to the Graduate School.

Non-System Students:  Non-system students employed during the summer must have attended a qualifying learning institution during Spring Term and intend to enroll at a qualifying learning institution for the upcoming Fall term as a degree or diploma seeking student.

Term Breaks

To be eligible for student employment during winter break, spring break, or summer session, a student must have been eligible for student employment the term just prior to the break and must expect to meet eligibility requirements for student employment during the term following the break.