* This information replaces FIS 406-02 Vendor Invoice Number Guide & FIS 801-03 Fiscal Year End Processing of Invoices
Banner has a feature that will “catch” duplicate payments to the same vendor if the same format is used for all payments. Banner looks for an exact match in the invoice number field, so even an extra space will make the number unique. The standards are listed below:
Guideline when Paying by Regular Invoice:
1. Enter invoice number exactly as provided by vendor. Do Not Add:
- Extra spaces or characters to the number,
- Extra characters to indicate a credit memo,
- Department name, account number, your information
If the vendor has started recycling their invoice numbers, add the year following the invoice (Example 12345/02).
When entering an invoice into Banner and an error message is given that the invoice number is a duplicate:
- Click on the icon at the end of the vendor invoice number field.
- You can also go directly to FAIVNDH from the direct access menu to check for duplicate payments.
Guidelines when regular invoice numbers are not used:
Some vendor invoices do not have invoice numbers. When that is the case, another identifier that is unique and meaningful to the vendor must be referenced. The number can only be used once, and has a maximum length of 15 characters.
Types of identifiers that can be used:
- Job Number
- Work Order Number
- Account number/Customer Number and month/year
- Any other unique number on the vendor’s invoice that identifies payment for the vendor
- Utility bills are paid referencing the account number assigned by the vendor followed by the month/year.
- Telephone bills are paid referencing the Invoice Number Assigned by the vendor.
- Use Telephone number or Account number followed by the month/year.
- Mail remittance stubs with the check.
Vendors who cannot identify payments by invoice number alone are:
- PGG-Pendleton Grain Growers - needs to have the invoice number followed by the account number.
- Albertson’s – payment should be from the monthly statements using the last nine digits of the Advantage card “space” mm/yy as the reference number (example: 100160693 04/11)
- Safeway - needs to have store number.
Guidelines when Paying By Statement:
- Enter account number exactly as provided by vendor and include month/year in the invoice number field.
- Only current charges may be paid. If not paying all current charges, a Notice of Invoice Change must be submitted with the document.
- When something needs to accompany the check, Business Affairs will print out the scanned CTA document from Nolij at the time the check is processed.
Fiscal Year-End Processing of Invoices
Effective Date: Wednesday, January 1, 2003
Revision Date: Thursday, December 9, 2010
Each year, the Office of Business Affairs distributes Year End Closing instructions with specific dates and deadlines for that year.
For all Funds: For current fiscal year invoices that represent goods or services received on or before June 30th, process each invoice in the current fiscal year accounting records by using a June transaction date (current fiscal year, period 12). See each year’s schedule for deadlines for all approvals.
For all funds: For current year invoices received after the specified July date, maintain listings of all current fiscal year invoices processed in the new fiscal year accounting records that represent goods or services received on or before June 30.
For current fiscal year invoices received during the July time period specified in the current year’s schedule:
Record each invoice on the Year-End Accrual Spreadsheet and process in period 01 of the new fiscal year accounting records by using a July transaction date.
For current fiscal year activity (goods and services received by June 30) for which invoices have not been received as of the date specified in the current year’s schedule:
For each invoice yet to be received, enter an estimated amount on the Year-End Accrual Spreadsheet. When the invoices are finally received, they should be processed in the new fiscal year accounting records by using the then current date as the transaction date.
Completion of Year-End Accrual Spreadsheet:
All Year-End Accrual Spreadsheets must be received in Business Affairs on the date specified in the current year’s schedule.
For invoices for the new fiscal year, process each invoice in the new fiscal year accounting records by using the current date as the transaction date. For off-campus Extension locations, follow instructions issued annually by the University Administration Business Center (UABC) Finance Office.